| The Smithsonian
Institution's V-2 was acquired in 1946 from the U.S. Army Air Forces, officially
transferred on May 1, 1949. It was moved to the National Air Museum's storage
facility in Suitland, Maryland in 1954 and was restored in 1975 for exhibition
in the new National Air and Space Museum building.
The rocket is
painted in a black and white scheme to resemble Test Vehicle A-4/V4, which
was the first successful rocket launched from Test Stand VII in Peenemünde
on October 3, 1942. The rocket is displayed in the upright position and
is resting on an authentic German firing table, which is one of only four
remaing in the world.
BY JOHN VERITY AND OTHERS - CLICK ON THUMBNAILS TO ENLARGE)